Friday 8 May 2015

How to Stop Drinking and Start Recovery

Overcoming an addiction to alcohol can be a long and bumpy road. At times, it may even feel impossible. But it’s not. If you’re ready to stop drinking and willing to get the support you need, you can recover from alcoholism and alcohol abuse—no matter how bad the addiction or how powerless you feel. You don’t have to wait until you hit rock bottom; you can make a change at any time. Read to get started on the road to recovery today.

Alcohol treatment and recovery 1: Commit to stop drinking

Most people with alcohol problems do not decide to make a big change out of the blue or transform their drinking habits overnight. Recovery is usually a more gradual process. In the early stages of change, denial is a huge obstacle. Even after admitting you have a drinking problem, you may make excuses and drag your feet. It’s important to acknowledge your ambivalence about stopping drinking. If you’re not sure if you’re ready to change or you’re struggling with the decision, it can help to think about the costs and benefits of each choice.

Evaluating the costs and benefits of drinking

Make a table like the one below, weighing the costs and benefits of drinking to the costs and benefits of quitting.
Is Drinking Worth The Cost?
Benefits of drinking:
Benefits of not drinking:
  • It helps me forget about my problems.
  • I have fun when I drink.
  • It’s my way of relaxing and unwinding after a stressful day.
  • My relationships would probably improve.
  • I’d feel better mentally and physically.
  • I’d have more time and energy for the people and activities I care about.
Costs of drinking:
Costs of not drinking:
  • It has caused problems in my relationships.
  • I feel depressed, anxious, and ashamed of myself.
  • It gets in the way of my job performance and family responsibilities.
  • I’d have to find another way to deal with problems.
  • I’d lose my drinking buddies.
  • I would have to face the responsibilities I’ve been ignoring.

Withdrawing from alcohol

When you drink heavily and frequently, your body becomes physically dependent on alcohol and goes through withdrawal if you suddenly stop drinking. The symptoms of alcohol withdrawal range from mild to severe, and include:
  • Headache
  • Shaking
  • Sweating
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Anxiety and restlessness
  • Stomach cramps and diarrhea
  • Trouble sleeping or concentrating
  • Elevated heart rate and blood pressure

Expect setbacks

  • Alcohol recovery is a process—one that often involves setbacks. Don’t give up if you relapse or slip. A drinking relapse doesn’t mean you’re a failure or that you’ll never be able to reach your goal. Each drinking relapse is an opportunity to learn and recommit to sobriety, so you’ll be less likely to relapse in the future.

What to do if you slip:

    • Get rid of the alcohol and get away from the setting where you lapsed
    • Remind yourself that one drink or a brief lapse doesn’t have to turn into a full-blown relapse
    • Don’t let feelings of guilt, blame, or shame keep you from getting back on track
    • Call your sponsor, counselor, or a supportive friend right away for help

Call 911 or go to the emergency room if you experience any of the following withdrawal symptoms:

      • severe vomiting
      • confusion and disorientation
      • fever
      • hallucinations
      • extreme agitation
      • seizures or convulsions

No comments:

Post a Comment